XML based startup scripts

justin at shiningsilence.com justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Mar 10 20:54:03 PST 2005

> Thanks James.
>
> I can see most of the people in the thread disagree with the idea.
> I am just curious about MacOS X, how come it can do this so gracefully ?
> I do not have a Mac myself but I hear everyone who has one loves it.
> It can't be all that bad if it works so well for others... ?

Well, people usually love their Mac because of something other than XML,
usually.  :)

DragonFly (and other BSDs) have an existing startup system that works
well, and there's no pressing need that I know of that a switch to XML
would fix.  That's probably why.  If the startup process was broken, or
XML made a significant difference in usage, then the idea probably would
have already been implemented.