XML based startup scripts

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Thu Mar 10 20:25:19 PST 2005

James Frazer wrote:

I think this has been discussed before with no discernible outcome.

To link you to a thread I started a long time ago:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2003-12/msg00232.html

I started the thread about XML for general configuration files, but I
 believe part of it touches upon the RC system.  You might want to
give it a look.
--James

Marcin Jessa wrote:

Hi guys.

Any of you ever thought of replacing the "antient" startup shell
scripts with something more flexible ala MacOS X/Darwin XML based
solution?

Please not XML in that place! 'Raw' XML can be distracting to read.

During startup, there is not yet the infrastructure in place 'on box' to
support decoding or display of 'eye candy', nor should it be a
requirement that the console be a computer able to decode and
display XML  - or anything else an unaided CRT or serial TTY couldn't
handle.
Basic plain text can be read, easily and well, on just about *anything*.

- Off topic, but since it was mentioned, the MacOS X configuration
environment may look nice in the GUI (using it now).
But under the surface OS X is the ugliest scene I have witnessed since
the hogs ate my little brother.   Too many compromises of the wrong
kind.   :-(
A better example of what can be done with a text/XML UI
might be Aos - Bluebottle, an Object Oberon OS.
. .. But you have to be naturally ambidextrous to use it,
and we really don't want to go that way.    ;-)
Bill