Differences between AMD and Intel CPUs [was: Re: Dragonfly and Hyperthreading....]

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Mar 9 12:12:55 PST 2005

    Well, all I can say EM (not knowing what you real name is since you
    haven't bothered to tell anyone) that I think you need to go back and
    actually do some research on equivalent systems, because nobody else
    is seeing the price differentials you are.  Perhaps the problem is that
    you seem to have a requirement for PCI-X, which is a very new standard,
    which is severely limiting your choices.

    Your comments on the Xeon systems are also incorrect... you have to
    realize that Xeons are a good fit for the economics that many commercial
    installations deal with.   Xeon's are very good at handling a certain
    class of problems, primarily large parallel database applications, and
    because the commercial software in these markets is a *LOT* more
    expensive then the actual machine hardware, and usually taylored to
    have the best price point when running on big honking boxes, companies
    tend to buy big honking Xeon systems for that sort of thing.

    I am the last person who would waste money on a bleeding edge system,
    but your comments on the matter of Xeons ignores a whole slew
    of economic realities.

    For me, the difference between Intel and AMD is that my UPS is running
    at only 65% of its full load after replacing three of the Intel boxes
    with AMD boxes where as before it was running at 90% load.  Since my
    machines are responsible for the majority of my power bill, that's
    several HUNDRED dollars a year in savings for me, at a minimum.  The
    only contemporary Intel boxes I have left are a P4 cube and a P4/RAMBUS
    Tower, and while the cube was cheaper then the AMD equivalent it
    wasn't cheaper by much (less then $100), and certainly isn't faster,
    and it is easily going to eat at least that much extra in power over
    the year so, overall, I just don't buy the argument that Intel's
    are cheaper in the long run.