How to teach OS

Tsume tsume at code-exec.net
Fri Mar 4 15:14:52 PST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:23:04 -0500, <EM1897 at xxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 3/4/2005 11:04:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, Zera
William Holladay <zholla1 at xxxxxxx> writes:

Hi, I have a pedagogical question.

If you (a developer) were teaching a first level college course in
operating systems with the goal of (eventually) transforming each
student
into a *BSD developer, then how would you teach the course?
Specifically, what programming assignments would you have?  What
material
would you cover?
I thought the point of college was to prepare students for
PAYING jobs?
Hello everyone, and excuse the noise.

Excuse me AOL user,

People do use BSD for production purposes. I've even written portable
software and told the customer to use BSD and they did. It doesn't have to
be rewriting the OS for a job. It could be for other programming purposes
than accessing low level functions. I advise you to stop assuming every
possible path. No offense, but you are seeming quite offensive. I've not
even read through all the past emails you have sent. Please rethink the
way you send email, and don't judge the success of OS design tatics by how
you have turned out. Many people have success in some fields more than
others. Have a nice day.

TSUME