Clock still getting stomped on from time to time (no pun intended)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Mar 25 09:58:51 PST 2005

:Hi all,
:
:I sent this to 'bugs' twice but it apparently didn't get through.
:
:my laptop has been behaving dramatically better since the timer issue was
:fixed a few months ago.  However, sometimes under heavy load, I notice the
:problem again.  It doesn't hose the HD controller like before, but my clock
:goes haywire, my keyboard repeats at ridiculous rates, and I feel like I'm
:in a timewarp.
:
:I know Matt added a sysctl to warn when this happens, but how can I actually
:*fix* the problem?
:
:Jonathon McKitrick

    We can, by retooling the system to use the ACPI timer instead of the
    8254.  That has its own issues but at least we wouldn't have to worry
    about the BIOS/SM code munging the 8254.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>