stable GCC 3.4 configurations

Andreas Bartelt dragonflybsd at bartula.de
Tue Mar 22 11:29:40 PST 2005

Hi,

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
. ..
P4 optimisation (CPUTYPE=p4) is not stable.

Joerg
I've testet building a gcc34 system on a Pentium 4 and on an Athlon PC
now. My /etc/make.conf looks like this on both PCs (no CPUTYPE flag):
# cat /etc/make.conf
CCVER= gcc34
CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe

I've refetched the complete DragonFly_Stable sources today, and simply
did "make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installworld && make
installkernel". Building, as always, went without problems, but, the
man-Problem (i.e. "man man") and the "make buildworld problem" (when
trying to build the system again after the upgrade), as described in my
previous mail, persist on both PCs.

When I restore and install my old gcc2.9 /usr/obj-tree, and then build
the system (with exactly the same sources) without defining CCVER= gcc34
in /etc/make.conf, I don't have any problems.

So gcc29 works and gcc34 doesn't work with DragonFly_Stable on my PCs.
But why? Any more hints where to look?

Regards,
Andreas