Latest ISO

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Fri Mar 18 07:54:39 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:59:10PM +0000, Sergey Lyubka wrote:

> >    We are going to be moving to GCC3 as the default browser after the
> >    upcoming release.  At that point it will become official.  A lot of
>
> Is there any document available that justifies move to gcc3 in dragofly?
> what is the main point for move away from gcc2 ?

(a) GCC 2.95 is unmaintained. No bug fixes, no improvements.
(b) GCC 3.x/4.x is much more standard compliant. ISO C99 and C++ 98 support
are more and more necessary.
(c) GCC 3.x/4.x can generate better code and more importantly has support
e.g. for SSE and MMX.

Concerning the speed argument, I'm very well aware that 3.x is much slower
than 2.95. But it becomes faster with every iteration, 4.0 being much faster
than 3.4 for example.

Joerg