PCIX confusion

David Rhodus sdrhodus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 07:24:33 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:50:01 -0500, EM1897 at xxxxxxx <EM1897 at xxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a message dated 3/14/2005 9:34:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, Hummel Tom <tom at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> Again, more wrong theory. pciE 1x much slower
> >> than pciX. I try. And what good is 4x or 16x
> >> if not available?
> >
> >On most mainboards the agp slot is replaced by a pciE x16 slot,
> >sometimes even 2.
> >
> >tom
>
> Try to pay attention, Tom. There are no pci-E x16 Ethernet
> cards.

Last month HP sent an office I consult with a motherboard with 4 PCI-e
16x slots along with two 10GigE PCI-e ethernet cards.

Now that is why I would only buy motherboards with PCI-e on them now
rather than PCI-X.  You guys keep sending out these emails saying that
various people don't know what they are talking about when in fact you
guys don't know jack.  This client is expected to get two more of
these systems with a second version of the 10GigE cards just this
week.  And you might ask what operating system are they going to run,
well, that would be DragonFly. Why? Because outside of simulators,
DragonFly is one of the few operating systems that can give 10Gig
performance.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus