Stabble Tag move

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Mon Mar 14 02:00:04 PST 2005

Bill Hacker wrote:

>> Again, he asked why vi isn't in /bin, I gave him a reason :)
>>
>> Joerg
>
> Versteh. On FreeBSD, vi goes in the bin here right after installation of
> srm ;-).

It is true that vi is statically linked in /rescue in FreeBSD-5
However it still calls the termacap database, as i have checked with ktrace
hence you will have hard time using it if /usr is not accessible.
Same thing for the "easy editor" ee.
Note that in both cases a .termcap.db is first called in  user's home,
so the presence of a copy of termcap.db in /root would solve the problem,
perhaps a reduced copy, with just the console termcap.

--
Michel Talon