GENERIC - Raising the bar

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Fri Mar 11 13:11:28 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 04:44:20AM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:
> But might it not still be useful w/r further code streamlining - perhaps
> a bit of reduced coding workload, potentially fewr places for error,
> if the target set were further restricted?

Actually, there are only two things which might break on older platforms,
that's the timer code and that's the ISA-only support. I know that
both work at least on a i486 I acquired just for testing.

Since ISA is needed for a current system anyway, there's no pressing
reason to generally make this system not work by default. A completely
different thing is removing unmaintained drivers for ancient hardware,
e.g. the pre-newpcm sound drivers. Since noone said something in favour
for them, they will be removed soon.

Joerg