XML based startup scripts

Steven Shaw steshaw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:11:54 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:49:49 +0000, Marcin Jessa <lists at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> Any of you ever thought of replacing the "antient" startup shell scripts with something
> more flexible ala MacOS X/Darwin XML based solution?

Let me confess that I don't like XML much. For configuration files
that are quite structured, it might be worthwhile using a structured
data format (over properties/variable format). I'd suggest something
lighter weight than XML. Either JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) with
implementation in various languages including C or YAML.

  http://www.crockford.com/JSON/example.html
  http://www.yaml.org/

I prefer JSON mainly because I like the curly brackets - you know when
nested elements end and can use % in vim to match them.

Oh and "Hi" from a lurker :)
--
Steven Shaw http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StevenShaw