How to reinstall the loader?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Mar 4 12:22:18 PST 2005

:  The worse thing is when I tried to boot my DragonFlyBSD partition
:afterwards. The DragonFlyBSD loader has been replaced by the FreeBSD one,
:that tries to boot FreeBSD and not DragonFlyBSD. I don't know why it has
:been installed both on the FreeBSD and on the DragonFlyBSD partition. The
:data is still on the DragonFlyBSD partition, but I don't know how to boot it
:now.
:
:  Is there any way to reinstall the DragonFlyBSD loader? By chance, it is
:possible to do it while running FreeBSD ?
:
:  Best regards,
:
:     -Frank.

    The FreeBSD boot0 loader should be able to deal with the DragonFly slice,
    so it may just be a matter of reinstalling the DragonFly loader in the
    DragonFly slice.

    You can do this by booting the DragonFly CD and installing the loader
    manually.  Lets say DFly is on ad0s1, you would do (booting the CD and
    logging in as root):

	disklabel -w -B ad0s1

    You might possibly also have to recopy the loader program itself:

	mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt
	cp /boot/loader /mnt/boot/loader

    That ought to do it, hopefully.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>