How to teach OS

Aleksander Rozman - Andy andy at triera.net
Fri Mar 4 09:23:17 PST 2005

At 4.3.2005, you wrote:
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:04:52AM -0600, Zera William Holladay wrote:

>If you (a developer) were teaching a first level college course in
>operating systems with the goal of (eventually) transforming each student
>into a *BSD developer, then how would you teach the course?
>Specifically, what programming assignments would you have?  What material
>would you cover?
Learn Pascal: programs, data types and structures. The forced structure is
a good introduction to Unix OS process segmentation, IMHO. If programming
is not a prerequisite, you may turn out a bunch of enterprise red hats.
// George

If you would learn programing it would be better to learn Java. Most of
newer OO (Object Oriented)prog. languages follow Java's way of programing
and after you know you can easily start programming in C (or at least with
C++)... It's better to learn Java than C since Java is much cleaner.

I learned Pascal in high school, and when we started doing C I, and all my
classmates were lost (Java didn't exist then). It's better to start with
something that will be needed later.

If I am frank we didn't learn anything interesting in Operating Systems...:
here is short list: interrupts, DMA, hardware protection, types of OS,
spooling, tasks, PCB, threads, synchronization, memory and file systems,
protection and security...

As I said nothing interesting.... We made some comparision for some of this
things on Linux and Windows 2000...

Andy

*  Aleksander Rozman - Andy  * Fandoms:  E2:EA, SAABer, Trekkie, Earthie *
*     andy at xxxxxxxxxxxxx     * Sentinel, BH 90210, True's Trooper,       *
*    andy at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   * Heller's Angel, Questie, Legacy, PO5,     *
* Maribor, Slovenia (Europe) * Profiler, Buffy (Slayerete), Pretender    *
*     PGP key available      *    http://www.atechnet.dhs.org/~andy/     *