RAID framework?

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Fri Mar 4 03:36:12 PST 2005

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

On 04.03.2005, at 11:16, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

are there any plans to incorporate a better RAID framework (I don't
like vinum at all, you can't boot from it and it's hideously complex to
use) or even full blown volume manager into Dragonfly? In a lot of
situation, good software RAID would be much more flexible than
controller based implementations, especially if there was RAID5 with
support for the addition of new disks.

I boot from vinum.
ACK. Not new.

 And as I see it, vinum *is* a full blown volume manager.

. .of long standing.  Like anything else, could be improved, but...

IMHO, Matthew's long-range architecture for file systems in general
seems more worthy of investment than any side-trips. A new vinum
should be driven by that goal-set.   Anything less is a distraction.
OTOH, general support for a controller family that provided 'real', not
'pseudo' SATA RAID, would sure be welcome for *whatever* it is to store.
Bill