Looking for a good DFly/BSD laptop choice

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Fri Mar 11 15:55:53 PST 2005

Hi all,

I wasn't in the market for a laptop recently, but I got a good pay review
yesterday.  :-)

I'd like something forward-thinking, if it isn't too expensive, but it MUST
run DFly or at LEAST FreeBSD 4.x.  I was looking at a Gateway Athlon64, but
I heard there are big problems with interrupt routing and BSD.

I've been considering IBM ThinkPads.  What do you think?  I've heard they do
well with *nix, and there's a bit of an IBM price premium, but that's all I
know about them.

Any advice?

As of now, I have DFly running on an ancient P4-266 laptop (ask Matt about
the fun times with the ATA driver), but I haven't gotten DFly to recognize
my 'dangerously dedicated' FreeBSD drive on my Celeron workstation.

Jonathon McKitrick
--
My other computer is your Windows box.