Historical use of "traps"

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jun 9 11:28:08 PDT 2005

:Thanks for the feedback.  Reading a bit more from chapter 3 of "Design
:and Implementation of 4.4BSD", I'm fairly sure "trap" means something
:along the lines of "trapping the kernel to force it to do something."  I
:guess interrupt vectors and what-not are setup to handle these
:situations?  I know interrupts are actually separate from a trap, but is
:a similar convention used to know which code to execute during a
:hardware trap that is now transferring over to the kernel?
:
:Thanks.

    On most cpu architectures traps, exceptions, and interrupts all
    use a very similar mechanism to get into the kernel.  There is
    usually a vector table of some sort that all three use.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>