Questions about next PREVIEW

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Fri Jul 29 04:48:51 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:20:34PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:     Going to 64 bit inodes is a necessary change.  I would have liked to have

And this won't require newfs-ing anything?

:     added.  This is a much smaller TODO list then I had before!

That's always good to hear.

:     I also intend to start a push to make buffer cache address 64-bit clean,
:     which basically entails changing the block number fields into 64 bit
:     offset fields.  Not an easy job and with dire consequences if I get it
:     wrong.

Consequences that can't easily be found before you commit?  ;-)

Question: you've done some work with the timers, I noticed.  My laptop is
behaving much better than before, but I've noticed that at times under heavy
load the whole system will accelerate.  The clock speeds up, keyboard repeat
rate is through the roof, and so on.  And I get those diagnostic messages that
the BIOS has messed with the timer and it has been reset.

Is there something I can do in my kernel config to fix this, since your recent
timer changes?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
Hoppiness is a good beer.