Remove unsed KQUEUE from usr.bin/make?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 7 10:37:51 PDT 2005

:Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
:> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:56:48AM -0700, Max Okumoto wrote:
:>
:>>Does anyone object if I remove the KQUEUE code from make.  It
:>>is not used, and it does not improve performance.  Or atleast
:>>the comments in the code indicate that it does not.
:>
:>
:> It might not improve the performance in the current state.
:> But it is also only partially used for now. You could IMO
:> dramatically simplify the logical since it provides a common
:> place for both IO and child related handling. I think I'd prefer
:> to make (a) the default, (b) remove the non-kqueue code and
:> (c) fully exploit it.
:>
:> Joerg
:
:That makes sense too.  I will send mail to phk and ask him what his
:results were.
:				Max

    I don't think its going to matter either way.  For one thing, this
    is 'make', which isn't really a critical utility.  Secondly, unless
    make is managing a hundred children all at once I really doubt the
    difference in performance would be noticeable.  But its up to you.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>