installing extra software

Richard Nyberg rnyberg at it.su.se
Fri Jul 1 01:01:58 PDT 2005

At 30 Jun 2005 21:51:36 -0000,
Andreas Hauser wrote:

> rnyberg wrote @ Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:35:34 +0200:
> > I've been trying to install emacs, xorg and firefox on first
> > 1.3-PREVIEW and now on latest HEAD. Unfortunately there always
> > something that doesn't build, or if it does segfaults or aborts.
> > I've tried pkgsrc, ports and packages form www.fortunaty.net.
>
> If you have problems with something from http://ftp.fortunaty.net/
> please send me an email.
Will do.

> I guess it was the emacs segfaulting on you ?
Yeah. And bash doesn't run. Firefox does work though.

doozer# bash
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: bash: Undefined symbol "__error"

doozer# emacs
Fatal error (11).Segmentation fault (core dumped)

doozer# emacs -nw
Fatal error (6).Abort (core dumped)

> I haven't looked at it, but it might be our stack gap stuff,
> since many lisps think they can predict certain things about
> the layout.
Nasty...

I just realized that I can run linux-binaries of bash and emacs,
so I actually have a semi-usable environment now :)

It's a great service you provide with packages Andy. It's still
a bit hard to build them from source.

Regards,
        -Richard