Problems with Soyo P4VTE Board

Carl A. Schmidt carl at carlschmidt.net
Mon Jul 4 12:06:08 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:15:45AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I am about to lose access to my laptop so I'm trying to get
> :DF to work on my workstation.  It's a cheapo setup with a
> :Soyo P4VTE motherboard and a Celeron 2.4GHz CPU.  The Serial
> :ATA controller is recognized, but the live CD proceeds to set
> :it to DMA33 because of a non-ATA66 cable it claims.  I have
> :a DVD/CD drive (combo) on the parallel ATA cable and am
> :trying to install from said device onto the serial ATA hard
> :drive.
> :
> :Once the machine gets to recognizing the hard drive speed incorrectly
> :it then goes on with the following:
> :
> :acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> :ata0: resetting devices .. ata0: mask=03 ostat1=51 ostat2=00
> :acd0: ATAPI 14 eb
> :ata0-slave: ATAPI 7f 7f
> :ata0: mask=03 stat0=10 stat1=00
> :ata0: devices = 04
> :done
> :
> :This proceeds endlessly until I reset the computer, to no avail.
> :I am at a loss as I no longer have my laptop to investigate with.
> :--
> :Carl
>
>     Hmm.  Well, the hard drive I presume is on ata1 and that is
>     probably working just fine.  The cable junk for SATA is ignored and
>     should have no effect on the SATA transfer speed.
>
>     The problem appears to be on the EIDE controller that the CDROM
>     is connected to.  We have an entry for that chipset (05711106),
>     but I may not be able to do anything without the hardware in front
>     of me to figure out why FreeBSD can get through the reset sequence
>     but we cannot.
>
>     Is it repeating the 'ata0-slave' line over and over again?  That
>     would imply that it is trying to talk to the (presumably non-existant)
>     slave.  Double check your cable and drive.  Make sure the cable has not
>     been installed with the two ends reversed.  There is a right way and
>     wrong way.  And make sure that the CD/DVD drive is jumpered as a master.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Okay, I've tried new cables, tried jumpering the drive every possible
way, and tried using both primary and secondary connectors on the
motherboard all to no avail.  Unfortunately I don't have a spare drive
to test.  I will attempt purchasing a new drive tomorrow or something.
I need a new CD-R drive anyway now that I don't have a laptop.

Also, yes it is repeating the ata0-slave line over and over.  I will
experiment with serial console logging on my server machine in a little
while to see if I can show the full DF dmesg.
--
Carl Schmidt
carl at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx