why is sendmail the adopted mta?

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at beastie.delta-s.org
Mon Jan 3 01:27:15 PST 2005

* Miguel Filipe (miguel.filipe at xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > Why do I have gripes with sendmail?
> > > 1) Its difficult to configure
> > > 2) it has a lousy security track record
> > > 3) there are very good (superior) alternatives

> about 2)
> Sorry, but sendmail's track record on security isn't my opinion.. its
> a know historical fact!
> Postfix is more secure _by design_, and experience shows that on
> field.... the security track record of postfix is simply _very good_.

Sendmail has a lot of eyeballs looking at it. Also, one of the sendmail
maintainers (Mr. Shapiro) is keeping our version in base up to date.
Please don't whine about sendmail. It works, it's tried and tested, and
if you don't want it, then don't use it. Sendmail isn't even enabled as
a MTA per default (only for local mail delivery and as a remote
transport, not as a server that accepts mail and/or listens on a port).

For all intents and purposes, sendmail works fine. One could do a lot
worse. And the security track-record of sendmail the last few years has
been very good.

Heck, if you really don't want sendmail installed on your base system,
then build your own damn release with the stuff in /usr/src/nrelease
with sendmail not compiled in.

Please put an end to this ever-recurring bikeshed.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair.  And my advice to you is to have
nothing whatever to do with it."