why is sendmail the adopted mta?

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 2 02:12:28 PST 2005

Miguel Filipe wrote:
<cut>
2) it has a lousy security track record
3) there are very good (superior) alternatives
Why not use postfix has the default mta?
1) its secure
<cut>
Well security wise I would say I prefer sendmail, it has had more
eyeballs then the others.

But perhaps license is also a issue, I don't know if the others have a
bsd style licence?

On the other hand, nothing going to stop you to use another MTA
(whatever color you like) so I don't realy see the problem with this.
Till this time sendmail is doing just fine for me and I would see no
benefit/cost reason to rip it out for the favour of another MTA.

Perfomance wise I must say that I never had a problem with sendmails
performance.

--
mph