kernel: Entropy device is blocking

sam samwun at hgcbroadband.com
Fri Jan 28 21:04:12 PST 2005

Brian Reichert wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:57:49PM +0800, sam wrote:

Hi,

I did a google on

  freebsd  "Entropy device blocking"

And saw two whole hits; the second one does describe what this
message means
and how to deal with it:
http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/archives/000188.html

    * Just type away for a bit, randomly. You can even redirect it to
/dev/null:

# cat >/dev/null

      Just type stuff away, and when you're done, hit ctrl-d to stop
the cat'ing to /dev/null. Then re-run passwd.
Result: Not being tested yet, as I don't see a fundamental difference
compared to typing junks on the keyboard. If the random device is not
working properly, it still not going to work no matter how you input
random characters.

Result: Not being tested yet, as I don't see a fundamental difference
compared to typing junks on the keyboard. If the random device is not
working properly, it still not going to work no matter how you input
random characters.

    * As Matthew Seaman pointed on on the -questions list, you can just
run vipw and delete the stuff between the second and third ':', leaving
a blank password. Then you can reboot normally, login to root
immediately(!!) and run passwd. The generator will be nice and warmed up.

Result: I've been using blank password thru out all installation, and
created root password after login root, then reboot, it still have tne
same error.

    * I guess on FreeBSD 5.x, which I haven't tried to install yet, you
can run:

# /etc/rc.d/preseedrandom

      Which, in fact, preseeds the random number generator.
Result: this is new to me, I tried it, but does not fix the problem.
Apart from using the entropy way to genenrate host_keys, why can't base
on user's root password generate host_keys? Is there any other way
(commandline) of  sshd generate host_keys?

Thanks
Sam.

Thanks
Sam