why is sendmail the adopted mta?

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Mon Jan 3 06:00:53 PST 2005

Op Monday 3 January 2005 09:01, schreef Atte Peltomaki:

> I took a look at freebsd.org and their security advisories. I found
> these about sendmail from the last few years:

[snip]

> Three of the more recent exploits also seem to all relate to same issue
> in the code. The record is not perfect, but I wouldn't say it's
> unbearable either.

Exactly. Compare it to, say SSH for instance. It's really not that bad. Should
we expell OpenSSH for it's terrible security track record? The ultra-security
conscious openbsd people also still have sendmail in the base system.

And, as I said before, nobody forces you to use sendmail. There has to be some
MTA in the base system, and it might just as well be sendmail. Give it a rest
already.

Once we have the new packaging, it's all moot anyway.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Hardware, n.:
	The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.