Bridging two laptops

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Sat Jan 15 15:17:13 PST 2005

Hi,

Maybe you can help me, as I've little experience with "advanced" networking.

My configuration:

* A wireless router (acts as DHCP): 192.168.1.1

* Laptop A, which is connected wireless: ipw0, 192.168.1.101

* Laptop B, which does not have wireless access, but is connected
  via a cross-link cable to Laptop A's rl0 network interface.
  It's network device is xi0 (DHCP). It's running NetBSD, but that
  should not matter.
On Laptop A (DragonFly), I did:

  kldload bridge
  sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
  sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_ctl=rl0,ipw0
I also put both rl0 and ipw0 into promisc mode. rl0 does not have an IP
assigned.

Laptop B gets IP 192.168.1.103 assigned via DHCP. But I can't ping
laptop A from B and vice versa.

Maybe someone can enlighten me? Thanks.

Regards,

  Michael