A gcc puzzle for the experts

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 25 16:24:42 PST 2005

The problem is that the gnomevfs2 port won't compile on my
gcc34 machine, but compiles perfectly on the gcc2 machine
and on FreeBSD-CURRENT (gcc 3.4.2).

This is the error:
cdda-method.c:647: error: syntax error before "else"

and this is the offending code:

        /* Check and see if we already have opened and stashed this drive */
        if (!use_base) {
                if (global_context != NULL) {
#ifdef __linux__
                        if (strcmp (drive->cdda_device_name,
global_context->drive->cdda_device_name) == 0) {
#elif defined(__FreeBSD__)
                        if (strcmp (drive->dev->device_path,
global_context->drive->dev->device_path) == 0) {
#endif
                                use_cache = TRUE;
                                cdda_close (drive);
                                gnome_vfs_file_info_copy (file_info,
global_context->file_info);
                        } else {
                                /* We have a new drive. */
                                cdda_context_free (global_context);
                                global_context = cdda_context_new (drive, uri);
                                cdda_set_file_info_for_root (global_context,
uri);
                                gnome_vfs_file_info_copy (file_info,
global_context->file_info);
                        }
                } else {				<========  line 647
                        /* Create a new context */
                        global_context = cdda_context_new (drive, uri);
<remainder of sourcefile snipped>

The error occurs even if I change __FreeBSD__ to __DragonFly__ because
the error is a *syntax* error, not an undefined symbol or missing header.

So, anyone have a clue what is wrong -- anyone else getting the same error?