Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Mon Feb 28 11:16:14 PST 2005

On February 28, 2005 11:03 am, EM1897 at xxxxxxx wrote:
> >I don't have the reference handy at the moment, but there was an
> > article about a network test where FreeBSD was able to process and
> > route 1 million IP packets per second.  Linux on the same hardware
> > was only able to process approx. one hundred thousand IP packets
> > per second.

> That doesn't sound even remotely credible. Maybe FreeBSD
> was "routing" to the loopback device?

The following message was posted to the FreeBSD net mailing list:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-September/004840.html

With a link to the following paper on the subject:
http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/FreeBSD-5.3-Networking.pdf

Page 11 mentions two different projects that both reached 1 million pps
throughput using IP FastForwarding.  These were mentiond in a mailing
list thread on the FreeBSD lists, although I have not yet bothered to
track down the exact threads.

This presentation was made by Andre Oppermann on Sept. 2, 2004 at the
SUCON '04 conference.  http://www.suug.ch/sucon/04/

> We're not to a million pps yet; half of that is ambitious.
> And for performance to be THAT different there would have
> to be something seriously wrong with settings. The raw
> performance of the FreeBSD and Linux is similar, as the
> limiting factors are generally external.

> I thought this thread was dead?

I didn't notice the "it's dead" message until after I had responded.  My
fetchmail setup was b0rked on the weekend and I was wading through ~600
messages, replying as I went, instead of reading through the whole
thread.

I'll let it die, now, though.  Just thought I'd post the links for
others to read / research.

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]