Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Sun Feb 20 11:23:07 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> Our boot code also has a strange bug in GCC 3, for some reason.
> Considering that's the compiler used in 6-CURRENT and 5-STABLE, I don't
> think it's a very wise idea to backport it at the moment...

I recognize that your response addresses concerns that are far larger
than the scope of my original post -- but just to address the technical
concerns (leaving aside politics):  the DFly patch to /boot/loader

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/cvsweb/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c.diff?r1=1.8&r2=1.9

applies cleanly to the original FBSD code and compiles and works well on
FBSD-current.  I believe that the gcc3 problem you refer to was with the
bootblock code, not with /boot/loader.  (This patch affects only the i386
architecture, BTW.)

I picked out this specific patch because I now run both DFly and FBSD
from extended(logical) rather than primary(DOS) partitions and it's mildly
annoying to fix /boot/loader after rebuilding FBSD.  But I'll survive ;o)