Dragonflybsd Presentation

Eduardo Tongson propolice at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 18:21:53 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:33:10 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dillon
<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     slide 3 (threading model)
>
>         Our current threading library is the bastardized 4.x pthreads
>         library.
>
>         David Xu is currently working on his 1:1 threading library for
>         DragonFly.  We have implemented fast userland mutexes and are now
>         working on TLS support.  (I think someone called this N:N before,
>         but the correct term is 1:1, not N:N).
>
>         The eventual goal is to implement async messaged systems calls
>         and support an M:N model.

Is it ok to leave it M:Ncpus

>     slide 4 (advantages)
>
>         I would change 'Scales very well' to 'In theory, should scale
>         very well'.

Can I change it to Architecture advantages instead of advantages?

>     slide 5 (packaging system)
>
>         Currently using the FreeBSD ports tree with an override mechanism.
>
>         We Intend to use or construct a packaging system that:
>
>         * Allows multiple versions of anything to be installed
>
>         * Uses a binary-install methodology for users rather then a source
>           build methodology.
>
>         * Takes advantage of varsyms and other DragonFly features to
>           present a source build environment that contains only the
>           elements required for the build as specified by the package.

You mean we wont support a source based install?

>     slide 6 (journaling filesystem)
>
>         This work is in progress (not theory, but also not finished yet).
>
>         Add:
>
>         * First stage will be decoupled from the system.
>
>         * Second stage will provide feedback to journal-aware filesystems
>           to allow them to use the system generic journal instead of rolling
>           their own.
>
>         * Also intended to provide data transport services in the cache
>           coherency model as a third stage.

Will add them

>     slide 7 (why not softupdates)
>
>         Generally correct.  Note that fast reboots won't happen with the
>         journaling code until stage 3.

Wow something actually correct :)

>     slide 8 (advanced networking stack)
>
>         This code is mostly finished and definitely working.  The
>         DragonFly per-cpu protocol thread model is intended to allow
>         MP operation and the code is mostly MP safe, but there is still
>         a lot of work to do in underlying subsystems before we can actually
>         turn off the big giant lock.

So I dont have to change anything?

>     slide 9 (improvements)
>
>         note that FreeBSD has ctl-alt-esc too, so that isn't an improvement
>         per-say.

Will remove that

>     slide 10 (tidbits)
>
>         Add: abstraction for supporting multiple compilers via CCVER
>         environment variable.

Consider done

>     slide 11 (nifty functionality)
>
>         NG jails / UML - future
>         SSI - future
>         scheduler switching - future
>         VFS environs - future
>
>         Note on scheduler switching:  Since DragonFly separates out the
>         userland process scheduler from the kernel thread scheduler, it
>         is in theory fairly easy to switch the userland scheduler out on
>         the fly.

ok

>     I'm sure there are other things but that's a good start!
>
>     When you are all done and have finished presenting your slide show we
>     would love to have it placed on the web site!
>
>                                         -Matt
>                                         Matthew Dillon
>                                         <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks