dhclient speed FBSD vs DFBSD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Feb 17 11:20:12 PST 2005

:I've installed two week ago DragonFly (again) on my laptop ,replacing
:FreeBSD 5.3 (again, I am putting a other BSD on it every 2 month or so)
:and I noticed that DF is much faster in getting an IP via dhclient over
:a wireless network then FreeBSD.
:Am I delusional or do more people have noticed this?
:And if so is their any reason for it? The only difference in my
:environment is the OS , the hardware and the networks are the same.
:
:--
:mph

    I think this may simply be an issue with the interface taking some time
    to come all the way up after being ifconfig'd.  dhclient is often run
    before the interface is fully up which causes its first packet or two
    to fail to be sent.  It works on the retry, but the result is a delay.

    I may have added a short sleep in DragonFly's rc.d script somewhere
    before dhclient is run, and this may be the only reason why it seems
    to work better for you.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>