UPDATE: Problems booting an SMP kernel

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Feb 8 11:05:45 PST 2005

:On Wednesday 26 January 2005 20:18, Douglas S. Keester wrote:
:> 	I will try a 'boot -d' on both the GENERIC kernel and my SMP kernel. I
:> will also give the FreeBSD boot CD a try.
:
:	Well, it booted correctly in SMP mode for the first time tonight. Yay! :-)
:
:	I am still not sure why it wasn't working in SMP mode. FreeBSD 4.11 worked
:like a champ in both UP and SMP modes. I tried diffing the ATA code between
:FreeBSD 4.8, FreeBSD 4.11, and DragonFly, but I found no changes that seemed
:to relate to my problem.
:
:	Then I found the following post to the commits@ list:
:		http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/commits/2005-02/msg00115.html
:Since it seems to be the only related commit since the beginning of January,
:it probably has some relation. The "system locks up due to e.g. blown
:interrupt routing" comment in the log sounds about right. So, I am guessing
:this is probably the cause of my problem.
:
:	Thanks Matt!
:
:--
:Douglas S. Keester
:dkeester at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    If this commit had anything to do with making your system work, then it
    should have reported an error or warning of some sort on the console
    before successfully booting.

    could you post your 'dmesg' output ?

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>