Yet another PHP issue...

EM1897 at aol.com EM1897 at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 07:18:51 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/7/2005 5:27:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jonas Trollvik
<jontro at xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>This works for me with a kernel built on the 21st of december with
>Dragonfly-STABLE
>
>DragonFly haze.midron.tk 1.1-Stable DragonFly 1.1-Stable #1: Tue Dec
>21 21:10:08 GMT 2004
>kreca at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAZE  i386
>
>using php-4.3.10 and apache_1.3.33
>
>-Jonas
>
>On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:08:34 +0100, Joerg Anslik <joerg at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, here's another one:
>>
>> Simply calling "session_start()" from a PHP script causes a "Bus
>> error" and PHP throws a core dump...
>>
>> --j

There is a known bug in php regarding session_start().  The problem is if
*some* application sets the session.save_handler to "user", then the next
call, even by some other applicaion, that assumes its the default of "files"
will crash. Its hard to say "it works now", because its an interaction thats
difficult to predict. AFAIK, it was still a problem in 4.3.10 as they had
just figured it out. I've never seen the problem (this is on freeBSD mind
you) since adding the ini_set() call before the session_start() as follows:

ini_set('session.save_handler','files');
session_start();

Note that applications like "oscommerce" for one sets this to user, which
is the most common one I know of.