sendmail as a secondary MX

Janet Sullivan ciscogeek at bgp4.net
Fri Feb 25 12:19:36 PST 2005

Alas, the old machine == the new machine.  I've tried starting from
virgin DF config files, but still no go.  I've diffed the current
configs to the old ones (yes, I did make a backup), and there are no
differences that should be causing the problem.  I'm perplexed.
Hmm, I think I may have stumbled onto something, but I haven't had time
to really look at it yet.  I added a domain I don't normally use into
the relay-domains file, and restarted sendmail.  Darn it if it didn't
accept mail for that domain like a proper secondary.  At the same time,
it wouldn't treat mail for the other domains in the relay-domains file
properly.  The only difference I see off the bat is that the new domain
isn't in reverse DNS for any of the IP addresses on the box.

Could it be that sendmail is seeing the domain names in rDNS for the
servers IPs, and deciding that they are local, even if they are set in
the relay-domains file?