Dragonfly and Hyperthreading....

EM1897 at aol.com EM1897 at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 15:13:00 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/21/2005 4:58:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Martin P.
Hellwig" <mhellwig at xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>EM1897 at xxxxxxx wrote:
><cut>
>> what today's CPUS deliver anyway. I've never seen any compelling evidence
>> that AMD-based machines are faster in practice.  Right now I'm testing a
>> 3.4/800Ghz P4 system with 1K cache and PCIExpress and its slower than
>> a 3.06/533 Xeon with 512K cache and PCI-X. The faster CPU is faster in raw
><cut>
>Have you googled already for tyan K8WE? Dual Opteron 200 series, dual
>PCI-express ready for SLI and yes both with full 16 lanes when in SLI
>opposed to shared 16 lanes as other current bords have.
>The bord will go out for about 600EUR (all features), not even that
>expensive (still way above my budget).

Tyan is on my blacklist, ever since having to recall 38 systems from
throughout the world because they spontanously rebooted due to a
power design flaw...Again, it all SOUNDS great, but until I get it
on the bench its just a lot of words.

On another note, what is dragonfly's status regarding Opterons?