Small install ISO

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Feb 17 10:55:37 PST 2005

:I'm trying to install DragonFlyBSD onto a system using a usb key.  I
:only have a 64M key, so the normal ISOs are too big for me.  Is there a
:smaller install ISO that I can use?  (No floppy or cdrom, and other
:circumstances prevent me from PXE booting)

    There is no existing target that will generate something that fits in
    64MB.  Assuming you are even able to boot from the USB key what I
    recommend is that you start with a normal install's '/' (forget
    /usr and all the rest), then strip the debug info out of the kernel
    (using objcopy --strip-debug infile outfile), and remove files that you
    don't think will be needed until it fits in 64MB.  Then try to boot it
    into single-user mode.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>