Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

EM1897 at aol.com EM1897 at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 14:28:43 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/26/2005 2:18:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, Tom Hummel <tom at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>  Linux dropping packets is "the expense". While FreeBSD
>> will show 70% usage at 250K pps, linux might show 60%,
>> except linux is only actually processing 240K packets,
>> and its dropping the rest, which probably isn't what
>> most would want. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
>
>Can you prove that?

You know, Tom, perhaps part of the thing you have trouble
with is that you have a habit of snipping out context,
making whatever point you're trying to make difficult for anyone else to understand.

I don't think I have to "prove" it. I'm telling you what
happens. I can't prove that the Sun is bright either. It
just is. You shouldn't get RX_OVERRUNS with a constant
traffic stream running at 60% usage, but you do. And if
you do something in user-land, like a database lookup, it
gets worse, which also shouldn't happen. On BSD the lookup
will take a real long time, but you won't drop packets on
the network interface. It can probably be tuned, but only Linus and Allan know how to do it most likely.