upgrade from FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE

Jake Maciejewski maciejej at msoe.edu
Thu Feb 24 02:36:24 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 17:27 +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:
> Janet Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Are there any known issues upgrading from FreeBSD 4.11 to Dragonfly, or
> > should the instructions at
> > http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/upgrade-freebsd.cgi still work just fine?
>
> 4.10 and later have a progressively increasing number of 5.X'ish
> backports included. (I run 4.9 thru 4.11-STABLE).

When I upgraded from 4.10, the only thing I noticed was that some of the
changes in UPDATING had already been made.

> I do not know if those steps will still work without further ado, but I
> can say that if you can do so, a 'clean' DragonFlyBSD install from ISO,
> newfs and all, is *very much* faster - and very trouble-free.

I agree that binary is cleaner and faster, but if you don't want the
downtime or want a custom kernel or optomizations, you'd have to build
from source eventually anyway.

--
Jake Maciejewski <maciejej at xxxxxxxx>