Conclusion - Re: Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon Feb 21 09:26:57 PST 2005

Okay, it is finally time for me to step-in and do my job - this thread
is not getting anywhere and must end with this closing note. :)

If FreeBSD does not take our changes or what we consider as "important"
changes, than it is their loss and vice versa it applies if we dont take
improvements made in their tree and put them in ours.

Secondly, it seems that the bullets are being shot in the wrong
direction.  While Matt is more worried on technical and management
issues regarding FreeBSD, Devon is worried about hostility and
diplomacy; in other words both are talking at a brick wall.

Facts:
It is important to be diplomatic with other projects or individuals from
that project.  If David is hostile towards FreeBSD, he can gladly do it
at GoBSD site because that is *his* site; it DOES NOT represent the
DragonFly project as whole.

The problem is not whether FreeBSD developers have time or not, that has
never been questioned because we all have our problems and time issues.
 The issue is, when shit really hits the fan and complaints are flying
around, Matt provides a solution to their issue, with a lot of
theoretical and practical help (I know this from experience working with
him for long time now and I am sure others would agree with  me on this
one).

If FreeBSD does not adopt an XYZ feature from DragonFly for whatever
reasons, which might cure their issues, than that is simply their
problem and not ours -- this applies vice versa as mentioned above.

Personal attacks or generalized speculative statements such as
"DragonFly is much better than FreeBSD" (and vice versa) are wrong.  The
person who does so, IS NOT representing the views of the DragonFly
project as whole.

Since we can't really control what people do and say, ALL I CAN REQUEST
is that people take a diplomatic approach whenever possible in public
forums and cross interaction with fellow developers, be it from
DragonFly or FreeBSD project.
-%-%-

To conclude this thread, I would like to say that please think before
you take actions that might harm the project's or your own reputation.

I for one have made such mistakes in the past and have regreted on a
personal level because it DIDN'T help me AT ALL.

NOTE - do not let technical differences boil down to personal grudge
because that will not help anyone.

The DragonFly and FreeBSD project have a lot to improve and learn upon
then just "good code."

Those are my two cents.

		-Hiten
		Hiten Pandya
		hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxx