DP performance

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Thu Dec 1 13:36:24 PST 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 15:27, Danial Thom wrote:
> The issue is that RX is absolute, as you cannot
> "decide" to delay or selectively drop since you
> don't know whats coming. Better to have some
> latency than dropped packets.

No, if the system can't cope with the inbound traffic, it's much better
to drop or flow-control the inbound packets early (in the hardware)
then to waste other system resources (bus time, CPU cycles) on useless
processing if the same packets will never be forwarded.  Giving
absolute priority to RX processing leads to livelock at high traffic
loads, a phenomenon which was well known and studied for at least a
decade.

Cheers,

Marko