starting pkgsrc services on 1.4

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 29 17:02:32 PST 2005

:I looked it up, here is what FreeBSD has done:
:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.stable/33936 (description)
:http://tinyurl.com/b5kn8 (code)
:
:So they run rcorder, run the scripts until finishing mountcritremote,
:re-run rcorder against both base and local rc.d scripts, skip the
:scripts that have already run, and run the rest. (I think?)

    Yes, that looks to be what they've done, though they didn't
    do it the right way... they overly-hacked the scripts rather
    then simply add the necessary options to 'rcorder'.

    If someone wants to do this for DragonFly I would want to see it
    done as follows:

    * add an option to rcorder to allow it to generate a list 'up to' a
      particular keyword.

    Then the RC code would do something like this:

    files1=`rcorder -L mountcritremote -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* 2>/dev/null`

    [ run stuff based on files1 ]

    files2=`echo ${files1} | rcorder -W -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* 2>/dev/null`

    [ run stuff based on $files2 ]

    The new options would be:

    -L keyword		- do not generate output that would occur after the
			  specified keyword (but the keyword itself is
			  included).

    -W			- read stdin to parse a list of file elements which
			  are then removed from the output.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>