D-BUS, anyone?

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon Dec 5 03:45:29 PST 2005

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
I've been very impressed with linux lately: I installed ubuntu 5.10
on my wife's laptop, and if you insert a CD or a memory stick or
a digital camera or whatever, it "just works" -- an icon pops up on
the desktop and you can look at the contents, drag and drop etc
(with either gnome or KDE).  This sort of thing is really needed for
non-techie users, but even I find it pretty convenient.

Such will happen with DragonFly as well, but it will take a little while
because we need to clean up the kernel device facilities pretty well,
especially when it comes to mounting devices automatically etc.  We have
not written something like DEVFS just yet because thoughts are still
being poured into the process and procedures.
It would take time, so many requests, such less time. :-)

--
Hiten Pandya
hmp at dragonflybsd.org