DP performance

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Thu Dec 1 14:51:29 PST 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 23:13, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :...
> :
> :> of latency occuring every once in a while would not have any
> :> adverse effect.
> :
> :A few milliseconds of latency / jitter can sometimes completely kill
> : TCP throughput at gigabit speeds.  A few microseconds won't matter,
> : though.
> :
> :Cheers,
> :
> :Marko
>
> Not any more, not with scaled TCP windows and SACK.  A few
> milliseconds doesn't matter.  The only effect is that you need a
> larger transmit buffer to hold the data until the round-trap ack
> arrives.  so, e.g. a 1 Megabyte buffer would allow you to have
> 10mS of round-trip latency.  That's an edge case, of course, so to be
> safe one would want to cut it in half and say 5 mS with a 1 megabyte
> buffer.

Mostly true, but having TCP window sizes as large as a megabyte doesn't
come at no cost, just as you described later in your note (there may be
other problems as well).  But I don't think that today's gigabit cards
ever delay interrupts for more than a few dozens of microseconds
(unless explicitly misconfigured ;), so probably we have a non-issue
here.

Cheers,

Marko