NIS setup

Chuck Tuffli ctuffli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:24:31 PST 2005

Yup, in /etc/rc.conf

nis_client_enable="YES"
nisdomainname="sierra"
nis_client_flags="-S sierra,earth,mercury"

sldev12-l# ypwhich
ypwhich: can't yp_bind: reason: Domain not bound

I doubled checked and both ypbind and portmap are running. In trying
random things found via google, the following sequence seems to fix(?)
the problem:

# killall ypbind
# ypbind -ypsetme
# ypset sierra

where 'sierra' is the NIS domain name. Does this help explain what is
happening? Tnx again.

---chuck