startx does nothing

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Dec 5 09:22:07 PST 2005

:Tried all the suggestions, it doesnt produce a log file, moving
:xorg.conf out of the way does nothing. it hangs indefinitely(I waited up
:to 5 mins).
:
:Anymore suggestions?

    I did a from-scratch install on a test box and I was able to
    install xorg from pkgsrc.  startx works for me, though xdm does
    not.

    If startx is not sticking on DNS then perhaps there are two video
    devices in your machine and its slapping the display up on the wrong
    one.

    Doing a 'ktrace -i startx' and looking at the kdump output might provide
    a clue.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>