Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle *groan*

Wade waderr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 04:19:00 PST 2005

On 02/12/05, Marcin Jessa <lists at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:47:52 +0800
> Wade <waderr at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 02/12/05, Emiel Kollof <coolvibe at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > See subject for a pet peeve I've had for a while...
> > >
> > > Might it be an idea to copy FreeBSD here and shorten that to, say,
> > > 5 seconds by default? I know it's tunable, but it will shorten boot
> > > times a bit for people that are too lazy like me :)
> > >
> > > That and 15 seconds seems a bit too long. Know of any hardware that
> > > actually needs that long to settle in? (and don't you guys go dig
> > > up the most antiquated SCSI peripherals that actually do need 15
> > > seconds ;) ) If yes, I'll just shut up about this.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Emiel
> > > --
> >
> > The real pain for me is,
>
> What would you do with the 15 seconds you save once in a while?
> It's not really a problem and if you see it that way then recompile
> your kernel like real men do.

I see no reason for it. And I do recompile, but you know, most
computers these days do not have SCSI, so it seems a bit backwards to
overly compensate for a small number of dodgy SCSI devices that take
ages to start (when most computers don't have it, and those that do
probably don't have said devices).

I'd say most people who see this when they install are thinking "But I
don't have SCSI..."