Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Wed Aug 17 06:03:09 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:20:40AM +0200, Michel Talon wrote:
> Andreas Hauser wrote:
> >
> >When labor is not that cheap, you need better technology
> >to accomplish similar. That is what ports/pkgsrc is. It makes
> >producing those packages much easier, so that less people
> >can produce more packages.
>
> It is not so difficult to produce Debian packages. I have played
> a lot that game to inject more recent software in woody. If the
> software has a configure script, which becomes common, running
> dh-make on the source code produces the debian subdirectory with
> debian/rules, and usually very little hacking is necessary to produce
> a working .deb.

Debian packages as in the source packages are a nightmare, because they
replicate the same stuff over and over and over again. It also doesn't
fix the biggest problem of difference in policies between the BSDs and
Debian (or Debian and the rest of the world) nor does it fix the problem
of incompatibilities between those.

Joerg