Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 12 11:15:49 PDT 2005

Hiten Pandya wrote:
<cut>
It's extremely important from a user point of view to start pushing
pkgsrc's bootstrap with the system, otherwise it is a hassle.  This
would also imply in adding a NO_PKGTOOLS make option, for and when
building snapshots and releases.

By next release, i.e. 1.4, people would have already got some form of
pkgsrc bootstrap under use, thus simplyfing a whole lot of things from a
migration perspective, i.e. most of the hard work of getting people to
use it will be done.

It is vital that we choose and stick with a package management solution,
otherwise we will be stuck in between two.  Vanilla Pkgsrc will not be
perfect, but it can be vastly improved upon by our own layer on top.
<cut>
Like others I heartly agree on this, please just one "official
supported" ports system, I don't care which one it is just that we get
over it.

--
mph