Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Fri Aug 12 10:09:12 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    We are rapidly diverging from FreeBSD with regards to being able to
    compile the ports without modification, and have been for a while.
    So the answer is no... we are going to have to move to (almost
    certainly) pkgsrc and fix whatever issues we have with it.
					-Matt
On that note, if Joerg, David and Simon have no problem I would like to
bundle the pkgsrc bootstrap kit (not the pkgsrc tree) into the up and
coming snapshots.

It's extremely important from a user point of view to start pushing
pkgsrc's bootstrap with the system, otherwise it is a hassle.  This would
also imply in adding a NO_PKGTOOLS make option, for and when building
snapshots and releases.

By next release, i.e. 1.4, people would have already got some form of
pkgsrc bootstrap under use, thus simplyfing a whole lot of things from a
migration perspective, i.e. most of the hard work of getting people to use
it will be done.

It is vital that we choose and stick with a package management solution,
otherwise we will be stuck in between two.  Vanilla Pkgsrc will not be
perfect, but it can be vastly improved upon by our own layer on top.

Thanks,

			Hiten Pandya
			hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx