Starting a program from a command line versus clicking an icon.

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Mon Aug 22 09:26:31 PDT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Eduardo Tongson wrote:

> On 8/22/05, walt <wa1ter at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > xterm -bg `rlc` (gives a random-light-colored background)
> >
> > This works great when I type the command from an xterm
> > window -- but it fails when I click on a gnome or xfce
> > icon containing the same command.

> what happens when you quote it
> "xterm -bg `rlc`"

Really strange behavior -- the xfce gui complains that the
second " can't be found.  No idea why.  I also tried several
combinations of single quotes and backslashes and nothing
worked.

In any case I followed Michael's suggestion and wrote a
shellscript which works the way I wanted.  (I notice that
xfce's version of xterm is actually a shellscript which
invokes xterm, and now I know why :o)