Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Gabriel Ambuehl gaml at buz.ch
Sat Aug 20 01:36:33 PDT 2005

Eduardo Tongson wrote:

>Neat stuff there.
>Instead of those .spec files or XML I think using a light database like
>sqlite to store metadata is worth it. What do you think?

I'm not sure if binary config files are the smartest of all ideas (just
ask an Exchange admin about fixing its config after breakage...). If
it's possible to regenerate them upon breakage (possibly out of the
original package spec) I'm all for it but if not, I don't think it's
good enough. If going the DB route, it would probably have to support
transactions and that seems to rule out DBM and its relatives.

OTOH, it'd sure be cool to issue SQL queries against the package DB ;)